Our professional cleanings performed by our registered hygienist form the foundation for preventing gum disease, gingivitis and tooth decay. Cheryl, Lisa and Nancy form a very knowledgeable team with more than 15 years of experience in the dental field. Ensure that your teeth become bright, white and healthy after the cleaning session.
In a professional cleaning, your hygienist will:
- Remove plaque: Plaque is a sticky substance that can lead to deposition of calculus and cavities resulting in tooth decay and gum problems.
- Remove Calculus: Calculus (tartar) is hardened plaque on the tooth that develops over a period of time in the absence of proper oral care. It can also lead to gum disease if it deposits below the gum line.
- Remove stains: Dental stains and discoloration are not only caused due to extrinsic factors like excessive use of beverages like tea, coffee, wine and tobacco stains from cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and chewing tobacco, but intrinsic factors too have share in tarnishing your lovely pair of teeth and needs professional dental help.
- Ensure that your teeth become bright, white and healthy after the cleaning session
- Polish: Cleaning and polishing of the teeth leaves the surfaces of the teeth clean and smooth so that bacteria are unable to stick to them.
Both natural teeth and teeth with restorations survive best in an oral environment that is clean and where the intake of harmful foods is controlled. Our oral hygiene program is designed to help prevent new cavities, preserve teeth that have been restored and manage periodontal disease. At the initial visit oral hygiene instructions are reviewed and are reinforced at subsequent recall visits.
The following are helpful recommendations:
- Brush your teeth twice a day in a circular motion with a soft bristled toothbrush aimed at the gum.
- Floss every night in an up and down motion while keeping the floss in a U-shape and against the tooth surface.
- Avoid smoking. Avoid sticky sugary foods.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Use antiseptic and fluoride rinses as directed.